Free Tree for Fall Planting Mini GrantThe purpose of the Free Trees for Fall Planting is to help enable the planting of trees during the fall in conjunction with ReTree Nebraska Week and other fall planting events. ReTree Nebraska week is the last full week of September but trees can be planted between September 1st, through November 15. The recipient’s event will be considered a ReTree Nebraska event. The NCFC Trees has several goals:
- Celebrate trees and promote the value of healthy trees for a healthy community.
- Plant at least 200 high quality trees in Nebraska communities in conjunction with a tree-related educational event or community celebration to promote fall planting.
- Award tree advocates by giving priority to ReTree Nebraska ambassadors, Tree City USA tree boards, Tree Campus USA schools, Nebraska Statewide Arboretum curators, individuals volunteering/supporting community forestry programs and Project Learning Tree facilitators.
- Assist volunteers and non-profit partners such as business improvement districts, neighborhood associations, government agencies, and other public or private entities with tree planting in public spaces and areas of civic importance.
- Promote the healthy establishment and ongoing care of newly-planted trees.
- Diversify the community forest by promoting a broader diversity of native and well-adapted non-native tree species recommended by ReTree Nebraska. A special emphasis will be placed on the planting of ReTree Nebraska’s underutilized trees species.
- Provide educational opportunities for people to learn more about trees and their proper selection, planting and care.
Nebraska Community Forestry Council Trees is part of the broader ReTree Nebraska initiative which has the goal of engaging Nebraskans to plant 1 million high-quality trees in communities across the state by 2017.
Nebraska Community Forestry Council Trees is part of the Trees for Nebraska Towns funded by the Nebraska Environmental Trust, a beneficiary of the Nebraska Lottery, and is coordinated by the Nebraska Statewide Arboretum in partnership with the Nebraska Forest Service and Nebraska Community Forestry Council.